At System Links, one of the questions we hear frequently from Colorado Springs homeowners is whether security cameras deter home burglaries. As local homeowners ourselves, we place a high value on the safety and security of your home and family. This month, we assess whether installing security cameras can impact your chances of falling victim to a home burglary or if they are just another gadget in the tech marketplace.
Understanding the Purported Purpose of Security Cameras
Security cameras claim to serve multiple functions for Colorado homeowners:
First, they provide a method of surveillance, recording activities within and around your property.
Second, security cameras deter home burglaries, signaling to potential thieves that their activities are being recorded.
Finally, security cameras provide evidence in case of a crime, helping law enforcement in their investigation.
You Might Like: Using Security Video as Legal Evidence – What You Need to Know
New Features That Increase Protection from Home Burglaries
The technology of home security cameras has evolved significantly in recent years. Today’s cameras offer motion detection, night vision, and real-time notifications, making them an integral part of many home security systems.
However, even the coolest gadgets are only as good as the function they serve.
So the question remains: do these cameras deter home burglaries?
Security Cameras as a Deterrent
Studies suggest security cameras can indeed deter criminals. According to research conducted by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, about 60% of convicted burglars reported the presence of a security system influenced their decision to target one home over another. This indicates that visible surveillance cameras do indeed influence whether burglars attempt a break-in.
Factors Influencing a Burglar’s Decision to Target a Home
Burglars typically select their targets based on ease of access and potential rewards. For instance, homes that appear unoccupied, have weak security measures or show signs of wealth are often more attractive to burglars.
When it comes to whether security cameras deter home burglaries, their visibility plays a crucial role. Cameras installed outside the home, particularly near entry points, are more likely to be noticed by burglars. On the other hand, hidden cameras or cameras installed inside the home may not be as effective in preventing an initial break-in. However, they can provide valuable evidence should a burglary occur.
Maximizing the Effectiveness of Your Security Cameras
To maximize the deterrent effect of your security cameras, consider the following tips:
- Install Cameras in Visible Locations: As mentioned above, security cameras deter home burglaries best when they are readily seen. So installing security cameras at potential entry points, such as doors and windows, can dissuade potential burglars from attempting a break-in.
- Use Outdoor Lighting: Combine your security cameras with outdoor lighting to enhance their visibility and effectiveness. Motion-activated lights can startle potential intruders and draw attention to your surveillance cameras.
- Maintain Your Cameras: Regularly check your cameras to ensure they function correctly. A non-working or neglected camera may not deter burglars.
- Use Signs: Consider using signs to indicate that security cameras monitor your property. Even if the cameras themselves are not immediately visible, the presence of signs can act as a deterrent.
Protecting Your Privacy While Protecting Your Home
While security cameras deter home burglaries, you must also consider the need to protect the privacy of your family and guests. Security cameras can capture a significant amount of information, which could be accessed by unauthorized individuals or misused.
To protect your privacy and that of your family, consider the following:
- Limit the indoor areas your cameras monitor. Avoid pointing your cameras to areas where people expect privacy, such as bedrooms or bathrooms. Installing security cameras in these locations is against Colorado privacy laws.
- In addition to the indoor areas that must remain private, you should ensure that any security cameras on your property record movement and events only on your property and are not pointed into neighbor’s yards, front doors, etc.
- Protect your home security cameras from hackers. Use strong, unique passwords and regularly update your camera’s software to protect against potential security vulnerabilities
- As a courtesy to your family and guests, let them know you have security cameras on your property. Transparency can help prevent misunderstandings and ensure everyone feels comfortable with the surveillance.
Are Security Cameras Worth The Investment?
Of course, deciding to install security cameras depends on your specific needs and circumstances. That said, our experience as Colorado Springs’ preferred security camera installers has taught us that there are very few circumstances when security cameras do not benefit the homeowner. Whether living in an area with high crime rates or a relatively safe neighborhood, studies show that investing in security cameras deters home burglaries and protects your valuables.
One of the reasons why some homeowners do not explore the benefits of installing security cameras is because they believe the price point is out of their reach. If you, too, are under this impression, we encourage you to give System Links a call for a free, no-obligation home security assessment and quote. You will find that protecting your family is much more affordable than you imagine and well worth the peace of mind that accompanies the installation.
System Links: Your Partner in Home Security
At System Links, we understand the importance of protecting your home and family. As a family-owned business based in Colorado Springs, Colorado, we’re committed to providing top-quality security camera sales, installation, and maintenance services.
Our team of experienced security camera professionals can help you evaluate your security needs and design a customized solution that fits your home and budget. Whether you’re looking to install a new security camera system or upgrade your existing one, we’re here to ensure you get the protection you need.
Don’t leave your home’s security to chance. Contact us today to schedule your free on-site security evaluation and quote.
Trust System Links to keep your home safe.